THE 41st F.A.CUP FINAL - Wednesday 24th April 1912

Sheffield's Only F.A. Cup Final - Barnsley v West Bromwich Albion


There has only ever been one F.A.Cup Final played in Sheffield and that occurred on Wednesday, 24th April 1912. The game was in fact a replay because the first match had finished in a goalless draw between the two finalists, Barnsley and West Bromwich Albion. It had taken place a few days earlier at the Crystal Palace in London where the game was watched by a crowd of 54,556 who paid a total gate receipt of 6,057.

Programme for the 1912 FA Final between Barnsley and West Bromwich Albion

The replay in Sheffield  attracted a crowd of 38,555 with gate receipts of 2,612. Both teams remained unchanged after what was described as a dour and uninspiring match at Crystal Palace. The Times report on April 25 1912 of the Final was rather sparse and rudimentary to say the least

A few more details though can be added about the match from other sources. Although Barnsley retained possession of the ball in the early stages of the match they found it difficult to breakdown a resolute West Bromwich defence. As the match went on, an incident occurred that led to the introduction of a rule that is still in force today. The Barnsley right half Glendenning was off the field receiving treatment for an injured foot. West Bromwich attacked the Barnsley goal and with the Barnsley goalkeeper Cooper beaten, Glendenning ran on to the pitch with one boot on and cleared the ball away from the Barnsley goalmouth. After this incident, a F.A. rule was introduced that stipulated that a player who is off the field must receive the referee's permission before returning.

The match ended in stalemate and for the first time in the history of the competition the Final went into extra-time. With two minutes of extra-time remaining (and no-one certain of what to do if there was another draw) the Barnsley wing half Utley broke up an Albion attack on the left and then hit a pass to the Barnsley inside right Harry Tufnell who was standing on the halfway line. Showing both stamina and pace he outstripped the Albion full-backs Jesse Pennington and Cook before rounding the goalkeeper Pearson  and putting the ball into the far corner of the goal. The Barnsley Chronicle reported
"... Tufnell broke away on his own, and getting clear of the backs, made no mistake. Pearson ran out, but Tufnell steadied himself and got the ball into the net amid scenes of tremendous excitement!" 
Barnsley regrouped for the the last couple of minutes before the whistle blew and for the first (and the last) time in their history, Barnsley were presented with the F.A.Cup. It was to have been presented by the Lady Mayoress of London but she did not make the journey north and so the trophy was instead presented by the Chairman of the Football Association Charles Clegg (see below) 

The above photograph was taken at Oakwell and shows the victorious Barnsley side with the F.A.Cup! The Team that won the Cup that day were Cooper, Downs, Taylor, Capt) Glendenning, Bratley, Utley, Bartrop, Tufnell, Lillycrop, Travers and Moore.

Harry Tufnell the winning goal-scorer is sat, second from the left, on the front row. There is also a Will's cigarette card in existence that shows individual portraits of the players.

Of the eleven that played, ten were English born the exception being the captain Archie Taylor who was Scottish. The goalkeeper Cooper together with Bartrop (Worksop) were from Nottinghamshire whilst Downs, Glendenning, Lillycrop and Moore were from the North East. Travers came from Birmingham whilst the goalscorer Harry Tufnell was from Buxton in Derbyshire (*see note). Only Bratley and Utley were from the local area. Bratley was from Rawmarsh and Utley was from Elsecar.  The manager of the side was Arthur Fairclough who left soon after the Cup win to manage Huddersfield Town whilst the trainer was a former Army Sergeant called Bill Norman




The Daily Telegraph Football Chronicle (1995)

Barnsley's Sporting Heroes' by Annie Storey (Wharncliffe Publishing 1997)

The Official History of Barnsley Football Club 1887 - 1979 - Grenville Firth

The Times April 25 1912 page 13 Issue 39882

Swifter Than An Arrow - Wilf Bartrop, football and war - Peter Holland

Return To Main Homepage

This page was last updated on 10/04/13 09:21